Sunday, June 14, 2009

Technology a New Pedagogy?



I wouldn’t necessarily say that new technology is a “New Pedagogy”, I would say that it is educational adaptability. Technological change is not a new phenomenon; technological advances have historically improved educational techniques. For instance, the mechanical printing pressed developed in the 15th century had an immediate effect on society. Books could be produced in great quantities, facilitating dissemination and shifting individual perspectives.

As educator’s it is our responsibility to adopt and adapt to new technology in order to improve teaching methods. I agree with Will Richardson perspective on the benefits of new technology, and its effectiveness in education. New technological advancements have improved educators ability to teach, by allowing them to spend more time on educational content and less time on paperwork.

New technology certainly does initiate a new form of information revolution that will have a profound impact on education. As educator’s become more comfortable with new technological advances and begin to make them an integral part of their lessons, they will open up new opportunities for students to learn. And maximizing a student’s potential to gain knowledge is every educator’s responsibility. Isn’t that what teaching is all about?

2 comments:

  1. Great post on A New Pedagogy, Jennifer. I wish Will Richardson would be more positive about what we as educators are doing with technology and our willingness to change. I know not everyone is "changeable", but there are a bunch of us out here who are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually not posting on the New Pedagogy subject. I am writing to share my appreciation for your profile. The brief descriptions of your uncle and grandfather are facinating. I love stories that are handed down. I hope you have written them down for future generations. Are they recorded at all. I once spoke to a woman in West Va. whose brothers fought in the Civil War. I was only 13 at the time, but I remember it like it was yesterday. She was 103 at the time and still living in the same area she had been in all her life. You could start a blog just of your families stories and I would be hooked! Thanks for sharing that!
    -Ethan

    ReplyDelete